Thursday, October 8, 2009

Madrid!

We arrived in Madrid in a current of chaos... by the time we found our way to the metro in the airport, we had accumulated more people in our program (we bumped into them at the airport). So we had even more luggage and people to get from the airport to the metro, and to the hotel. Part of the adventure :)

It felt amazing to be able to drop our bags off at our hotel room (which are SUPER nice). I roomed with two girls, Leilani and Amy, and I am so glad that I did! I'm not sure I would have gotten to know them as well otherwise.

Since at this point we were still early (we didn't have to meet up with the whole group until later), some of us decided to find food. Down the street from our hotel we shared a few dishes of Paella, which were amazing! Their food as soooo much flavor. It was our first time trying to order anything in Spanish though, and I definitely felt like a tourist. Hopefully this will go away in time...

Once we did meet up with the whole group (I think there are 46 of us total), we took a bus tour of Madrid. There actually ended up being way too much traffic, so we got of the tour bus and walked and took the metro! I actually think I appreciated this more, because you get a better sense of the city when you are walking, instead of driving. We walked to this huge square, where I learned later was the Plaza Mayor, where the architecture is beautiful! We ate dinner at a restaurant there, where we were able to try many different types of tapas. Some things were strange and I had never seen them before... but my favorite was what they call tortilla - it reminds me of latkes. It is made in a pie shape, and is made from what tastes like eggs, potatoes and maybe onions. Everything just had so much flavor! I am starting to feel optimistic about the food, even though I've heard some negative things from people who traveled and lived here in the past. On the walk back to out hotel, I also noticed how dirty Madrid is... but otherwise have no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment